Ten signs seen at the protests at the Wisconsin State Capitol:
- Forward not Backward
- Strong Unions Are Good for Wisconsin
- I ♥ UW Governor Walker, don't break my ♥
- WI is CLOSED to the MIDDLE CLASS!
- Politician 5.3% Raise State Wkr 3.5% Cut
- Union Says: We the People / Walker Says: We the Rich
- Stop the Imperial Walker
- STOP the War on Workers Rights!!!
- Firefighters for WORKERS RIGHTS
And then there's this one:
Photo via The Badger Herald
You've probably heard something about the protests at the Wisconsin State Capitol here in Madison. If you haven't, the short version is that Governor Scott Walker proposed a bill that would, among other things, strip collective bargaining rights from every public sector union in the state (except the police and firefighters unions) and impose the equivalent of an 8.4% pay cut on state employees by increasing the amount employees pay for their pension and health care benefits. It is not a proposal that has been met with open arms. Yesterday, some 13,000 people showed up to protest and testify at the hearing about the bill; today, there were reportedly 30,000 people protesting outside the Capitol. And this afternoon, all 14 Democratic Senators left the state, leaving the Senate unable to meet the quorum necessary to vote on budgetary matters. What fun!