Last week I posted a link to a quiz I created about the Supreme Court of the United States. Here are the answers:
- Who is the newest member of the Supreme Court?
Steven Breyer, who took the oath of office on August 3, 1994.
- Which US President appointed no justices to the Supreme Court?
Jimmy Carter. He was the first president since Andrew Johnson to serve as President without naming any justices to the Supreme Court.
- Which of the following Supreme Court justices was born in Scotland?
James Wilson, born in Fife in 1742.
- Which US President appointed the most Supreme Court justices?
George Washington, who appointed eleven justices. Well, ten, technically, since he nominated John Rutledge as an associate justice in 1790 and as chief justice in 1795. Washington was also the only President to appoint more than one chief justice.
- Which plaintiff doesn't belong?
Yick Wo. The other three were all plaintiffs in suits arising from the internment of Japanese-American citizens during World War II. Also, Yick Wo v. Hopkins was the only case of the four decided in favor of the plaintiff, and the only one in which the United States was not the defendant. And he was Chinese, not Japanese.
- What do Dred Scott v. Sandford and Minersville School Board v. Gobitis have in common?
Due to clerical errors, the name of the defendant in each case is misspelled. The defendant in Dred Scott was John Sanford; the man who sued the Minersville School Board after his children were expelled for refusing to salute the flag was Walter Gobitas.
- The first session of the Supreme Court was held in:
1790 in New York City.
- Harry Blackmun, Norma McCorvey, and Sarah Weddington were key players in which landmark Supreme Court Case?
Roe vs. Wade. McCorvey (a.k.a. Jane Roe) was the plaintiff; Weddington argued for the plaintiff before the Supreme Court; and Blackmun wrote the majority opinion.
- Henry Fonda starred in a made-for-TV movie based on which case?
Gideon v. Wainwright. The movie, Gideon's Trumpet, was based on Anthony Lewis's wonderful book of the same name. Fonda was nominated for an Emmy for his portrayal of Clarence Earl Gideon, but lost to Powers Boothe.
- Who was the first Jewish member of the Supreme Court?
Of those who took the test and are not me, Jesse, whom I assume to be jmatonak, did best: he got 8 of the ten questions right. Go him!
Thanks to everyone who took the test!