Seven of my twenty song lyrics have gone unguessed. Here's one more chance to guess the remainder before I reveal the answers. The lyrics in bold are still open:
- There's a name that plays in my head like a song all day long; she's with me every day - The Bens, "Just Pretend" (hcwoodward)
- And here is the man pushing paper past her, thinks up ways to make the day go faster - Fountains of Wayne, "Sick Day" (Greg S.)
- Money can be exchanged for goods and services - The Simpsons, "Boy Scouts 'N the Hood" (tomthedog)
- I'm here to say there's a rainbow just around every corner
- We wake each morning with the sun to live our dreams away - Mike Oldfield, "The Time Has Come" (pidgehuss)
- I want you go out and bring me Lazarus; bring him dead or alive
- When you walked out on me, in walked old misery - Brian Setzer Orchestra, "Since I Don't Have You" (Greg S.)
- We thank you, God, for wondrous light
- Something as hard as a prayer on your back can wait a long time for an answer - Patty Griffin, "Mother of God" (hcwoodward)
- But not a real green dress, that's cruel - Barenaked Ladies, "If I Had a Million Dollars" (queenofdenile and certainthings)
- I used to be cruel to my woman - Gomez, "Getting Better" (nongenius)
- She saw the future, she heard voices from inside - Ben Folds, "Zak and Sara" (sodanyc)
- Every now and then I feel so insecure - The Beatles, "Help!" (jennlynnster)
- As far as I can see there's no reason for goodbye
- There's another season that crawls by like years - The New Pornographers, "From Blown Speakers" (pidgehuss)
- You don't think that mentioning these few superficial failings is going to do you any good, do you? - You're A Good Man, Charlie Brown soundtrack, "The Doctor Is In (demo version)" (pidgehuss)
- Why can't you let it go? - Marti Noxon, "The Parking Ticket" (jennlynnster)
- Some say I'm robbing the cradle, but I say she's robbing the grave!
- Don't ever, ever say or think that again!
- It's better, my sweet, that we hover like bees, 'cause there's no sure footing
And now for the answers:
- 4. I'm here to say there's a rainbow just around every corner - Bonnie Raitt, "Life Has Been Good." It's a track from Randy Newman's under-appreciated concept musical Faust, though it's probably best known for having been featured in the 3-D episode of Third Rock From the Sun.
- 6. I want you go out and bring me Lazarus; bring him dead or alive - James Carter and the Prisoners, "Po Lazarus." From the O Brother, Where Art Thou soundtrack.
- 8. We thank you, God, for wondrous light - Cathedral Choral Society, "Our Thanks We Give For Love and Hope." Almost certainly the most obscure song found here, but I know for a fact that at least five people who read this journal regularly own the CD on which this song appears.
- 14. As far as I can see there's no reason for goodbye - Ol' Yeller, "Some of Shelly's Blues." Written by Mike Nesmith, recorded by many country artists, including Ol' Yeller, an obscure but talented alt-county band out of Minneapolis. And thanks to the fine folks at Blue Rose Records, you can hear this song (and many more) for free here.
- 18. Some say I'm robbing the cradle, but I say she's robbing the grave! - Futurama, "Bendless Love." Possibly my favorite Futurama quote.
- 19. Don't ever, ever say or think that again! - Futurama, "Roswell That Ends Well."
- 20. It's better, my sweet, that we hover like bees, 'cause there's no sure footing - Neko Case, "Outro With Bees." Neko Case is possibly best known as the female singer in the New Pornographers, but she's released some really good alt-country solo albums. This track is from her excellent 2002 album Blacklisted.
Neko Case is also the woman pictured in my icon. I happen to think she's quite attractive, not to mention a fabulous singer, and when I ran across this picture of her the other day, I thought I could make a nice icon out of it. I think I was right, but what the heck do I know?