Here's the first release from the forthcoming New Pornographers album, Challengers, due in stores (not that people buy music in stores anymore) in August. It's a good one!
Ten disastrous dam failures:
- Rockdale Flood (mill dam near Rockdale, Iowa, collapsed on July 5, 1876; 43 dead)
- Ka Loco Dam (breached March 14, 2006; 3 dead)
- Austin Dam (breached September 30, 1911; 78 dead)
- Kelly Barnes Dam (breached November 6, 1976; 39 dead)
- Baldwin Hills Reservoir dam (breached December 14, 1963; 5 dead)
- Johnstown Flood (nearby South Fork Dam failed on May 31, 1889; 2,209 dead)
- Martin County (Ky.) sludge spill (coal sludge impoundment dam breached October 11, 2000; no human fatalities)
- Teton Dam (breached June 5, 1976; 14 dead)
- Buffalo Creek Flood (coal sludge impoundment dam breached February 26, 1972; 125 dead)
- Williamsburg Reservoir dam (breached May 16, 1874; 139 dead)
It should be noted that although the Martin County sludge spill caused no human fatalities, it did result in the death of all aquatic life in Coldwater Fork and Wolf Creek.