Ten colleges and universities that received bids to the 2009 NCAA Division III Men's Basketball Championship:
- Cornell College, Mount Vernon, Iowa
- Bridgewater State College, Bridgewater, Mass.
- Brooklyn College, New York, N.Y.
- Amherst College, Amherst, Mass.
- Wesley University, Dover, Del.
- Baruch College, New York, N.Y.
- Maryville College, Maryville, Tenn.
- Medaille College, Buffalo, N.Y.
- Guilford College, Greensboro, N.C.
- Lawrence University, Appleton, Wis.
I have a particular interest in the NCAA Division III Men's Basketball tournament this year due to the presence of the first team listed above, the mighty Rams of Cornell College, which happens to be my alma mater. Most knowledgeable observers view Cornell as little more than a bump in University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point's road to the round of 32, but I have faith that they will... well, be a bigger bump than many people are giving them credit for. If Cornell is eliminated, I will transfer my allegiance to my hometown team, the Thunder of Wheaton College. Who actually have a decent chance, though their bracket (which is also Cornell's bracket) is said to be the toughest in the tournament. Apparently, seven of the top ten teams (including the aforementioned UW-Stevens Point) have been placed. And if Wheaton is knocked out of contention, then I'll root for, I don't know, Gettysburg. Or I'll lose interest altogether.