Ten works of outdoor sculpture I have seen in person:
- U.S. Marine Corps Memorial, Arlington, Va.
- The Minute Man at Minute Man National Park, Concord, Mass.
- Liberty Enlightening the World in New York Harbor, New York
- Statue of Billy Payne at Centennial Olympic Park, Atlanta, Ga.
- The Chicago Picasso in Daley Plaza, Chicago
- Statue of Albert Einstein at the National Academy of Sciences, Washington, D.C.
- Statue of Strom Thurmond at the South Carolina state capitol, Columbia, S.C.
- Bust of James Dean at Griffith Observatory, Los Angeles
- Mississippi State Monument at Gettysburg National Battlefield Park, Gettysburg, Penn.
- Tree of Five Seasons, Cedar Rapids, Iowa
This list is for georgevna, who wanted to see the Chicago Picasso in a list. I decided she meant it literally, making this the second time this year I've posted picture of this particular sculpture in my journal. The hyperlinks will take you to larger versions of the photos posted here; if you can look at just one of them, I strongly urge you to look at the Mississippi State Monument, which, in the true spirit of post-Civil War comity, shows a proud Mississippian beating a Union soldier to death with the butt of his rifle. No, really.