Ten symptoms of hemochromatosis:
- Congestive heart failure
- Increased susceptibility to infectious diseases caused by Vibrio vulnificus
- A darkish colour to the skin
- Liver cirrhosis (with an increased risk of hepatocellular carcinoma)
- Dysfunction of the pituitary gland
- Arthritis of the hands, knee and shoulder joints
- Insulin resistance
Today's list is for astrablue, who wished to see a list about hemochromatosis, which is a hereditary disease characterized by improper processing by the body of dietary iron which causes iron to accumulate in a number of body tissues, eventually causing organ dysfunction. Sounds pretty bad, especially the part about hypogonadism.
Incidentally, it is now an official Reader Request Month tradition to mention bacteria of the genus Vibrio in at least one list. And maybe I'll start a new tradition of writing a double dactyl every time I do a list for astrablue. For example:
Living with bobtail squid
Under the sea
Part of the family
These little bugs help their
Squid friends to see!
OK, not my strongest effort, but it scans. And in the immortal words of Ed Wood: well, my next one will be better.