Ten properties with which Harry Potter has crossed over in fan fiction:
- Matilda (movie)
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer (television series)
- Too Many Magicians (novel by Randall Garrett)
- The Changeover (novel by Margaret Mahy)
- The Pretender (television series)
- Firefly (television series)
- Lord of the Rings (novels by J. R. R. Tolkein)
- Malcolm in the Middle (television series)
- CSI: Crime Scene Investigation (telelvision series)
- Lord of the Flies (novel by William Golding)
Harry Potter crossovers are on my mind, because I just finished an astonishingly good Harry Potter/Too Many Magicians fic called Plantagenet, which I heartily recommend to anyone who likes Harry Potter fanfic, and because just this morning I received word that the last chapter of a Harry Potter/Firefly crossover I've been waiting to read has finally been posted. I'm familiar with the author, so I expect it to be very entertaining.
Nos. 1 and 10 appear here due to the presence of Matilda Honey and Jack Merridew in a remarkable fic called The League of Extraordinary Adolescents, which also features Harry Potter, Buffy Summers, Jake Berenson (from the Animorphs books) and Jesse Tuck (from the novel Tuck Everlasting). I call it remarkable for two reasons. First, it's a clever idea with a interesting assortment of characters, and a decent plot. Second, it's very poorly written, even by fanfic standards. The concept and the plot are good enough to make me think that with practice and a good editor, the author could turn into a talented writer. Time will tell, I suppose.