Ten songs written by Adam Schlesinger:
- "Radiation Vibe" (Fountains of Wayne, Fountains of Wayne) *
- "Way Back Into Love" (Hugh Grant and Haley Bennett, Music and Lyrics: Music from the Motion Picture)
- "Bob on the Waves" (Meg Hentges, Brompton's Cocktail)
- "Stacy's Mom" (Fountains of Wayne, Welcome Interstate Managers) *
- "Too Cool for School" (Fountains of Wayne, Scary Movie: Music that Inspired the Soundtrack?) *
- "That Thing You Do" (The Wonders, That Thing You Do! Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
- "This is the Day" (Ivy, Apartment Life **
- "California Sex Lawyer" (Fountains of Wayne, International Pop Overthrow, vol. 3) *
- "I'll Take My Chances (Swirl, Ask Anybody)
- "Pretend to Be Nice" (Josie and the Pussycats, Josie and the Pussycats: Music from the Motion Picture)
Last night I went to see Music and Lyrics, a new romantic comedy starring Hugh Grant and Drew Barrymore. I went to see it because, well, I usually like romatic comedies, especially when they star Hugh Grant or Drew Barrymore. But what really got me excited about it was that the music was by Adam Schlesinger, who is a freaking genius when it comes to composing pop songs. Seriously, with a soundtrack by Adam Schlesinger, I would have gone to see it even it had starred, say, Ryan Phillippe and Jeanne Tripplehorn.
Unsurprisingly, I liked the movie very much. Grant is charming (and a surprisingly good singer), Barrymore is adorable, Brad Garrett and Kristin Johnson turn in strong supporting performances, and newcomer Haley Bennet is entertaining as a Britney Spears clone. And the songs Schlesinger contributed to the soundtrack were top-notch. Go see it.
* Co-written by Chris Collingwood
** Co-written by Dominique Durand and Andy Chase