Ten quotations selected by Rudolph Giuliani to illustrate various principles of leadership:
- "Faced with crisis, the man of character falls back upon
himself" -- Charles De Gaulle
- "And when we think we lead, we are most led." -- George Gordon, Lord
- "America is great because she is good, and if America ever ceases to
be good, America will cease to be great." -- Alexis De
- "It is a grand mistake to think of being great without goodness; and
I pronounce it as certain that there was never yet a truly great man
that was not at the same time truly virtuous." -- Benjamin
- "The reward for work well done is the opportunity to do more." --
Jonas Salk, M.D.
- "To go against the dominant thinking of your friends, of most of the
people you see every day, is perhaps the most difficult act of heroism
you can perform." -- Theodore H. White
- "Greatness knows itself." -- William Shakespeare
- "A man who enjoys responsibility usually gets it. A man who merely
likes exercising authority usually loses it." -- Malcolm S.
- "The test of any man lies in action." -- Pindar
- "Sleep not when others speak, sit not when others stand, speak not when you should hold your peace, walk not when others stop." -- George Washington
In 2003, Rudolph Giuliani released a book entitled Leadership Through the Ages. It would seem that at about the same time he put out a slim volume of favorite quotations about leadership, also called Leadership Through the Ages, possibly as a promotional giveaway for the other book. The quotations above are drawn from that second book, a copy of which turned up in the store the other day. Don't know where it came from, or how long its been here, or, really what to do with it. There's no price or bar code on it, which why I think it was intended as a giveaway. So for now it's just sitting here in the customer service area. Maybe I'll ask the DM about it on Friday when she stops by.