Neither the "Once More With Feeling" soundtrack album nor any of the songs thereon were nominated for any Grammy awards. I'm not in favor of that!
I've done no more than glance at the nominees, so for now I'll confine my comments to the Big Four. I'll have more to say about the rest later after I study the full list of nominees.
Category 1 - Record Of The Year
- "A Thousand Miles," Vanessa Carlton
- "Without Me," Eminem
- "Don't Know Why," Norah Jones
- "Dilemma," Nelly Featuring Kelly Rowland
- "How You Remind Me," Nickelback
I'm torn between Norah Jones and Nickelback here. I'm completely unfamiliar with both "Without Me" and "Dilemma," so that opinion may change once I hear them.
Category 2 - Album Of The Year
- Home, Dixie Chicks
- The Eminem Show, Eminem
- Come Away With Me, Norah Jones
- Nellyville, Nelly
- The Rising, Bruce Springsteen
Of these five nominees, I've only heard Home. I don't buy many albums.
Category 3 - Song Of The Year
- "Complicated," Avril Lavigne & The Matrix, songwriters
- "Don't Know Why," Jesse Harris, songwriter
- "The Rising," Bruce Springsteen, songwriter
- "A Thousand Miles," Vanessa Carlton, songwriter
- "Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)," Alan Jackson, songwriter
I think "The Rising" is the best written of these, but I'm terribly afraid that the horribly schlocky "Where Were You (When The World Stopped Turning)" will win. Also, "the Matrix?" Whatever.
Category 4 - Best New Artist
- Michelle Branch
- Norah Jones
- Avril Lavigne
- John Mayer
I have no strong feelings about any of these artists. I'm not sure I've ever heard Ashanti perform anything, I don't particularly like that one John Mayer that I hear all over the place, Avril Lavigne is too erratic in terms of material, and I've just heard the one Norah Jones song, so for now I'll cast my lot with Michelle Branch, if for no other reason than that she appeared in an episode of Buffy last year.