Ten things considered by Rough Guide editors to be wonders of the world:
- The Himalayas, Nepal
- The Forbidden City, Beijing
- The Sistine Chapel, Vatican City
- Las Vegas, Nevada
- Perito Moreno glacier, Antarctica
- Grande Mosquée, Djenné, Mali
- Temple Expiatiori de la Sagrada Família, Barcelona
- Rapa Nui moai, Easter Island
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Mayan ruins, Mexico/Guatemala
When employed by the writers of the Rough Guides 25 Ultimate Experiences series, a wonder of the World is simply something that is both impressive and unique, or the ultimate expression of whatever it happens to be. For example, there are lots of timber-and-mud mosques throughout the Middle East and Africa to its place, buit none as large or as impressively maintained as the Grande Mosquée in Djenné. I've been to two of the wonders listed here, nos. 3 and 4. Wouldn't mind seeing the others.
Don't forget: Just two more days to submit your suggestions for Reader Request Month!