Ten books I've read by Pulitzer Prize-winning authors:
- The Pearl by John Steinbeck
- Summerland by Michael Chabon
- Straight Man by Richard Russo
- House by Tracy Kidder
- Saint Maybe by Anne Tyler
- Space by James Michener
- The Virgin Suicides by Jeffrey Eugenides
- Christ: A Crisis in the Life of God by Jack Miles
- Moo by Jane Smiley
- Hiroshima by John Hersey
This list was inspired by the book I'm currently reading, Anne Tyler's Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant. I like Tyler, but she has a knack for creating female characters I just want to smack. Pearl Tull is not as annoying as Maggie Moran (from Breathing Lessons), but man, am I glad she wasn't my mother.
Of the books listed above, I most highly recommend Straight Man and Moo, which are both excellent and highly entertaining. The Virgin Suicides is very good also, but entertaining it ain't.