Via the Goalies: Put your MP3 player on shuffle, then write down the first 25 songs that come on. Copy and paste the instructions into a new post or note and fill it out yourself.
- Christine Lavin - Attractive Stupid People
- The New Pornographers - The Laws Have Changed
- The New Pornographers - Miss Teen Wordpower
- Old 97's - W. Texas Teardrops
- The Kaisers - What You Gonna Say?
- Czerwone Gitary - Bo ty się boisz myszy
- The Click Five - Pop Princess
- The New Pornographers - Adventures in Solitude
- Jim Croce - Operator (That's Not the Way It Feels)
- The Blue Van - Silly Boy
- The Fut - Have You Heard the Word
- The New Pornographers - Jackie
- David Lee Roth - Just a Gigolo/I Ain't Got Nobody
- Swing Out Sister - Break Out
- Weezer - Pork and Beans
- Artist Unknown - Peace of Mind
- Old 97's - Here's to the Halcyon
- Hoagiefest - Come On Down
- The Click Five - Just the Girl
- Dewey Cox - Royal Jelly
- The New Pornographers - Star Bodies
- The Weepies - Stars
- The New Pornographers - Challengers
- Old 97's - King of All the World
- The "You Know Who" Group - Roses Are Red, My Love
You may think that having three bands account for 44% of the songs on this lists reflects a certain homogeneity in my musical tastes, but it's really more like four bands accounting for 68% of the songs. Nos. 5, 6, 11, 16, 18, and 25 are all examples of what WFMU's Beware of the Blog calls Fake Beatles songs. I recently came by a large collection of such songs (legally, thank you very much) and decided to load all of them to my MP3 player so they could be listened to at leisure. As for the other three, they're pretty much permanent residents on my MP3 player; the remaining space is filled with podcasts, audio books, and whatever random songs will fit into the remaining space.
Incidentally, all this talk about Fake Beatles reminds me of a scene from Wayne's World:
WAYNE: Hey, Tiny, who's playing today?
TINY: Jolly Green Giants and the Shitty Beetles.
WAYNE: Shitty Beetles? Are they any good?
TINY: They suck.
WAYNE: Then it's not just a clever name.
In the edited version you occasionally find on basic cable, the naughty word is neither beeped nor looped, but snipped out altogether, which sort of ruins the joke.