Ten things you may not have known about Wolverhampton:
- Wolverhampton Art Gallery holds the second biggest Pop art collection in England.
- The bands Cornershop and Ned's Atomic Dustbin came from Wolverhampton.
- The city is served by the Express & Star newpaper.
- The current mayor of Wolverhampton is Christine Mills.
- Wolverhampton is represented in the Football League Championship by Wolverhampton Wanderers F.C.
- It is thought to have been named for a Saxon noble woman named Wulfrun, who established a landed estate near there in AD 985.
- It lies approximately 120 m (394 ft) above sea level.
- The motto on the city's coat of arms is "Out of Darkness Cometh Light."
- St. Peter's Collegiate Church is located at the highest point within the city centre and is the seat of the Bishop of Wolverhampton.
- The University of Wolverhampton was the first university to offer a degree in British Sign Language.
I also did not know these things. I'm not sure I'd even ever heard of Wolverhampton until last week, when I happened to read a novella set there.