Ten churches photographed by Camilo José Vergara and currently on display at the National Building Museum as part of their exhibit Storefront Churches:
- St. Martin Morning Star Church, Gary, Ind.
- Moorish Science Temple of America #25, Detroit
- New Life in the Great I Am Church, Jersey City, N.J.
- Christ Temple House of Prayer Deliverance, New York
- Thank God for Jesus Church, Baltimore
- Tabernaculo de fe Iglesia de Dios in Cristo, Los Angeles
- Little Widow's Mite B.C. Church, Bronx, N.Y.
- Triumph, the Church and Kingdom of God in Christ, Los Angeles
- America Come Back to God Evangelistic Church, Brooklyn, N.Y.
- St. Matthew of the Highway Church of Christ of the Apostolic Faith, Camden, N.J.
I had a job interview in Silver Spring this morning, and once it was over I decided I may as well stop in D.C. on the way home and take in a museum. I opted for an exhibit I'd heard mentioned on a radio program I had recently listened to, House of Cars: Innovation and the Parking Garage, currently on view at the National Building Museum. Once at the museum, I saw a sign for another exhibit that sounded interesting, Storefront Churches: Photographs by Camilo José Vergara. And it was fascinating, not least because of the unique and colorful names often given to the kind of churches photographed by Vergara.